Berean cogitations

Friday, December 15, 2006

The Internet can be a wonderful source of knowledge.

I recently discovered the website of Christian scholar Dr. Gary Habermas. I've been a long-time fan of his work, particularly his discussions of theism and his research on the historicity of the Resurrection. I've never really looked up his website before, and there is a lot of great material there.

I'll be using some of his more recent material in some of the upcoming apologetics classes that I'll be teaching. Frankly, I wish that more people would read his work. I've often complained that Christians tend to gravitate toward light, fluffy reading material, and Dr. Habermas offers nothing of the sort. This is the kind of in-depth, intellectually challenging material that more Christians need to explore... and it can be tremendously edifying as well.

While I'm at it, I'd also like to recommend InPlainSite.org, which I discovered last month. This website covers a lot of marvelous material that Christians should know. It's not as abstract or deeply philosophical as Dr. Habermas's site; however, it's full of theological depth and practical knowledge. In particular, this site confronts many of the controversial issues and deceptions that plague Christianity today. At the same time though, it's accessible to laypeople who have a genuine thirst and desire for the truth. I highly recommend it.